May 2, 2012 / Rae Spencer

Another Wednesday in the Yard

Another beautiful, warm day. The last thing I really wanted to do was crank the lawnmower. But, as is often the case, my last-choice task was on the verge of critical. The yard was calf-high in places. (In my defense, I think the moths and bees prefer it that way…)

Unfortunately, moths and bees aren’t running things. (Or… Maybe they are?)

No matter who is in charge, the yard needed mowing. So I laced up my grass-stained shoes, slapped on some sunscreen, and charged my iPod’s battery. I was almost finished, tired and grumpy and over-hot, when this little turtle popped out of the grass right in front of the mower.

I wasn’t able to stop before catching him a bit with the front wheel. (I think I might have been the one who nicked his tail…) But he doesn’t seem to have suffered any lasting harm. Later this evening, I’ll release him near a pond. For now, he’s resting under an open window, safe from the yard’s many dangers.

He’s very small. Probably the smallest turtle I’ve ever seen!

1. timelesslady / May 2 2012 6:02 PM

Cute turtle…glad he escaped the mower.

2. Angela / May 3 2012 10:18 PM

Love that turtle….and of course, the bee. A tiny lizard is living under my lavender pot and we’re happy to have him.

• Rae Spencer / May 4 2012 3:30 PM

I’ve been wondering how to attract lizards to our yard. Maybe I need a lavender pot!

3. withoutaudacity / May 6 2012 10:31 PM

Never had such a small turtle in the yard. In Ann Arbor our house is next to a marshy area and we would find large painted turtles around. One I found laying eggs in the area near our mailbox. I also had a snapping turtle in the backyard – just let that one alone.

• Rae Spencer / May 7 2012 10:32 AM

We’ve only had a few other turtles in the yard. A box turtle once in a while, a pond turtle or two, and one grumpy snapping turtle that didn’t want to give up his spot under my car. I don’t like finding them, really, because it always makes me wonder about the ones I don’t find. I’m afraid that I’ll miss one, at some point, and end up finding it with the mower. (Even so, I wouldn’t mind if one decided to lay eggs under my mailbox!)

4. bardessdmdenton / May 8 2012 2:14 PM

Yes, he is very small…so glad he’s ok…he’s so beautiful…I’m sure he was glad to ‘see’ the pond later!

• Rae Spencer / May 8 2012 2:43 PM

He seemed more thrilled about the long grass around the pond than he was about the water. I wondered if they are too vulnerable in the water, when they are that small. He would hardly have been a mouthful for a heron.