February 16, 2012 / Rae Spencer

More Signs of Spring

This afternoon my nerves tingle with spring. It’s hard to deny the season when dandelions, hyacinths, and tulips add their voices to the clamor of change. Even the dog speaks, shedding her winter coat in dry clumps, which I scatter from her brush as offerings for the birds. Because I hear them calling, the cardinals and mockingbirds, chickadees and robins. Even a tufted titmouse, a new song for an old yard, aching with hope.

1. violet wilde / Feb 16 2012 3:33 PM

Beautiful. I’m not a massive fan of Spring, but I am a very big fan of the Summer it heralds.

• Rae Spencer / Feb 16 2012 3:49 PM

I don’t know why, but spring and fall are my favorites. The between times, when I can see the pendulum swinging from one extreme to the next. Of course, during summer and winter I sometimes claim “this season is my favorite”…

• violet wilde / Feb 16 2012 6:24 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. Poetically, I love Spring and Autumn – they’re the seasons of change and they really are beautiful. Still, Autumn makes me sad because it’s going to get cold soon and Spring brings health issues ^^” it’s such a shame, really! Even Winter is beautiful, but I hate to be cold more than almost anything…

2. Betty Hayes Albright / Feb 16 2012 10:46 PM

So wonderful, the signs of spring. We aren’t having many signs here yet – just some heather blooming, and today I saw the first Canadian Geese flying north. So there’s hope!! Spring IS my favorite season – all the new, fresh growth, so full of promise. 🙂 Thank you for the lovely images!

• Rae Spencer / Feb 16 2012 11:24 PM

Thank you! We’ve had Canada Geese and Snow Geese passing through for a few weeks now, so there is indeed hope! 🙂

3. Jeanette Gallagher / Feb 16 2012 11:07 PM

Rae, you are not only a gifted poetess but you have the most exciting yard. It’s a beautiful poem!!!
    Jeanette Gallagher

• Rae Spencer / Feb 16 2012 11:24 PM

Thank you, Jeanette! My yard was happy today, despite the gloomy sky and evening rain.