March 19, 2012 / Rae Spencer

Bees!

Bees everywhere. Sparring in the irises. Lurking on the back door handle (ouch!). Patrolling the newly cut grass. Mostly, however, they are in the pear tree.

There’s a varied crop of weeds, should the bees grow weary of pear nectar.

And, should my camera grow tired of bees, there are plenty of other visitors in the yard. I hope these two decide to stay. I would love a nest to watch!

1. Sharon Poch / Mar 19 2012 8:42 PM

Amazing pics, Rae. My bees are all buzzing in the redbuds . . .
    Shar

• Rae Spencer / Mar 20 2012 12:10 AM

Thank you! We’ve got more bees than usual this year. I can hear the pear tree buzzing from the other side of the yard.

2. withoutaudacity / Mar 19 2012 10:15 PM

Wish we had your weather. We expect 45 and rain all week..

• Rae Spencer / Mar 20 2012 12:04 AM

I wish everyone could share this weather. Hope your rain moves out soon, and some warm sunshine moves in.

3. Jeanette Gallagher / Mar 19 2012 11:03 PM

The blooms are lovely, the bees love their nectar, but oh, how I hope for a nest to watch! That would be sooo exciting!

• Rae Spencer / Mar 20 2012 12:06 AM

I’m aching for a nest. Last year a pair of ducks spent every afternoon in our yard for over a week, then made their nest in the neighbor’s yard. I was so disappointed!

4. Samuel Millar / Mar 20 2012 8:47 AM

Love the in-flight shot!

5. bardessdmdenton / Mar 31 2012 3:46 PM

The one of the bee in flight is amazing…a prize winner!

It is still cold here but I did see a bee outside our living room window yesterday…a confused one for sure, after the very warm temps we had a week and a half ago…

It’s good that you have a lot of bees…over the last few years there have been worrying reports of bees dying in hives and their population dwindling generally.

• Rae Spencer / Mar 31 2012 4:16 PM

I thought about all those reports, watching them swarm through the pear tree. And I wondered how far they had flown, to find my yard…