June 11, 2012 / Rae Spencer

Old Photos

My mother’s family took photos. Lots and lots of photos. Mother always meant to organize and scan the pictures. She wanted a digital archive that could be saved and shared, one of the many projects left unfinished when she died.

I’ve been making slow progress with the photos, which is fascinating, frustrating work. Most are not labelled, so scanning is the easy part. The hard part will begin later, when I try to match names and faces, to reunite families and trace their paths through time.

1. withoutaudacity / Jun 11 2012 9:46 PM

Sounds like a great project. I did this with my wife’s family photos.

2. timelesslady / Jun 12 2012 8:11 AM

Sorting and labeling all your old photos will be a BIG task, but a worthy one…enjoy the memories.

3. notsofancynancy / Jun 12 2012 11:15 AM

I began that same journey last year. Somehow I took a left at World War II and got stuck. Enjoy!

• Rae Spencer / Jun 12 2012 6:17 PM

I seem to be spending most of my time in World War I, so I understand how easy it is to get stuck!

4. Angela / Jun 12 2012 11:23 PM

This is something my family needs to do. Such a huge project, but very worthwhile. Good luck, Rae, and thanks for sharing the picture. 🙂

• Rae Spencer / Jun 13 2012 3:15 PM

It’s overwhelming, at times, but also rewarding. My biggest regret is that so many of the photos are hopeless mysteries because there is no one left to identify them. But the images are too beautiful to lose, so I keep scanning…

• Angela / Jun 13 2012 10:04 PM

Yes, I remember sitting with my grandma going through old pictures and her being able to tell me who each person was……sadly, she is no longer here and while we still have the pictures , many names are lost. Still, its a beautiful gift even to have them at all. Enjoy! 🙂