June 26, 2012 / Rae Spencer

Hobby or Obsession?

What should I call my fascination with dragonflies? What if I never get tired of looking for them, never get tired of taking their pictures and learning their names? Years from now, stiff in the knees with cloudy eyes and foggy mind, will I continue to chase every glittering flash of wing?

What will it mean, if I do get tired of them?

1. jean / Jun 26 2012 2:43 PM

Rae, Hobby seems too weak a word, Obsession, too strong. Perhaps, you love all things of beauty, and your photos of dragonflies portray them in a most glorious manner.

I love this children’s legend:

Legend of the Dragonfly

“In the bottom of an old pond lived some grubs who could not understand why none of their group ever came back after crawling up the lily stems to the top of the water. They promised each other that the next one who was called to make the upward climb would return and tell what had happened to him. Soon one of them felt an urgent impulse to seek the surface; he rested himself on the top of a lily pad and went through a glorious transformation which made him a dragonfly with beautiful wings. In vain he tried to keep his promise. Flying back and forth over the pond, he peered down at his friends below. Then he realized that even if they could see him they would not recognize such a radiant creature as one of their number.

The fact that we cannot see our friends or communicate with them after the transformation which we call death is no proof that they cease to exist.”

• Rae Spencer / Jun 26 2012 2:46 PM

Jean! I love it! 🙂 Thank you!

• jean / Jun 27 2012 3:54 PM

Blessings, Rae,

Jean

2. Christine. / Jun 26 2012 3:43 PM

Lovely Pictures. 🙂

3. Jeanette Gallagher / Jun 27 2012 12:33 AM

Is it interfering with your life? Does it feel as if you HAVE to HUNT and photograph them? Do they give you pleasure? Do they give others pleasure to look at your pictures? They please me. I would call it a HOBBY and not OCD…

• Rae Spencer / Jun 27 2012 2:51 PM

I can’t say they interfere with my life, but they have interrupted a few conversations! I tend to stop, mid-sentence, when one flies by. Then I forget what I was saying…

4. Jeanette Gallagher / Jun 27 2012 12:41 AM

I just saw Jean’s comment and it’s beautiful! Love the story. Also, I’d like to add if you get tired of them you’re just tired of them – no worries.

• Rae Spencer / Jun 27 2012 2:49 PM

I love the story, too. Thank you, Jean!

• jean / Jun 27 2012 3:56 PM

Thank you, Jeanette. Love, Jean

5. Angela / Jun 27 2012 10:17 AM

I don’t think you ever will get tired of them, Rae. They are a lifelong gift to you…… I’m the same way about bees. The dragonflies are neither a hobby nor an obsession. I think they are a joyful love. You keep right on following them. It will keep you young and full of childlike wonder.

6. skyraftwanderer / Jun 28 2012 7:51 PM

As long as your having fun with it, then keep at it.

One, because it clearly makes you happy, and secondly, it provides the world with great photos.

I think I have a similar thing with jumping spiders. Always stop and watch them, always.

• Rae Spencer / Jun 28 2012 8:14 PM

Thank you! (I watch spiders, too, even though I’m afraid of them…)