October 5, 2012 / Rae Spencer

Green Tree Frog

I found a frog in the ginger lilies today. (I believe it was a green tree frog.) Frogs are unusual in the yard, so I was thrilled to find my second one of the summer. My delight faded to itchy frustration when I began trying for pictures.

The frog retreated into the ginger lilies, stem by stem. I crept in after it as far as I could, but the ginger lilies are hostile this time of year. They are head-high, densely packed, and teem with bugs that bite and sting.

Even so, I managed to follow the frog with my lens until it tired of the chase and settled on a leaf. Then I looked away for a second, to adjust the camera’s settings, and lost sight of my subject. I never found it again.

Sometimes the yard is an extension of Wonderland, complete with animals that disappear at will.

1. Simone Lipscomb / Oct 5 2012 10:45 PM

Beautiful! I enjoy your posts a lot.

Simone

Do something nice for the planet today.

http://www.TurtleIslandAdventures.com http://www.simonelipscomb.com

2. Gillian / Oct 6 2012 8:20 AM

Those are still some great pictures, Rae! We get Gray Tree Frogs here (Hyla versicolor) but while I frequently hear them I have not seen one yet. My favourite “Wonderland” creature to visit my yard was a beautiful Hummingbird Sphinx Moth caterpillar that showed up in my Viburnum shrub. He was the same colour as your frog. I photographed him a couple of times a few hours apart, then he seemed to disappear. I was hoping he would pupate in my shrub so I could watch him emerge as a moth. 😦

3. Sharon Poch / Oct 6 2012 8:35 PM

I’m going to have to plant ginger lillies. They seem to attract a myriad of delightful creatures.
    Shar

• Rae Spencer / Oct 6 2012 9:27 PM

I had no idea, when I planted them, how much they would change the yard!

4. lynnwyvill / Oct 9 2012 11:43 AM

I love these frogs. I found one hanging on my car a few months ago. We returned him to a safe place among the vegetation.

5. bardessdmdenton / Oct 16 2012 3:18 PM

What a wonderful, if ellusive, fellow. I adore frogs and enjoyed your adventure of ‘pursuing’ one!