March 23, 2012 / Rae Spencer

Something In the Yard

Yesterday afternoon, an Unidentified Dreadful Object appeared in the yard.

The Object landed in a major squirrel cache, amid a trove of buried tidbits. This squirrel made a wary approach, but quickly lost courage.

From the fence’s safe vantage, the squirrel eyed the Object for a while. After a few nervous changes of direction, over the fence and back again, anxiety defeated hunger.

Once the squirrel was gone, the Object was easy to subdue and remove.

A sidewalk runs along our fence, and litter tends to accumulate in the wax myrtle border. Every so often, something finds a break in the wax myrtles and lands in the yard. As a kid, I did my share of littering, so I pick up what lands in my yard with a weird sense of satisfaction. An atonement, of sorts, as if each current act of responsibility erases a previous moment of carelessness.

1. Deb Platt / Mar 23 2012 4:11 PM

Enjoyed your story. The photos of the nervous squirrel were charming.

• Rae Spencer / Mar 23 2012 4:26 PM

Thank you!

• Deb Platt / Mar 23 2012 5:38 PM

I’ve actually been surprised how brave and daring the squirrels in my backyard are. This Cooper’s Hawk (http://files.myopera.com/debplatt/albums/5761332/hawk-IMG_8412.JPG) landed in my backyard, and while its back was turned, a squirrel charged the whole way across my lawn at it. The hawk managed to take off just in time.

There was also an incident this spring when five crows landed on the ground around my bird feeder. Although the squirrels are very tolerant of most of my ground feeding birds, they apparently had a vendetta against the crows and immediately did everything they could to drive them out. There were about three squirrels and they took turns charging the crows till they finally left.

2. jeaniemac100 / Mar 23 2012 4:15 PM

Not only was the object DREADFUL, it was entirely the WRONG COLOR.

• Rae Spencer / Mar 23 2012 4:36 PM

It made me wonder if squirrels see orange. As in, the orange vests worn by hunters. I tried to look it up, but couldn’t find anything definitive.

3. bardessdmdenton / Mar 31 2012 3:30 PM

Squirrels are devils and often pests (especially around the bird feeders) but you gotta love their antics for entertainment value at least!

• Rae Spencer / Mar 31 2012 4:09 PM

I don’t know why, but I love them!