April 25, 2012 / Rae Spencer

Trouble in the Yard

I believe these are Eastern Tent Caterpillars. This afternoon, I found three of them roaming through the irises at the foot of the pear tree. I can’t find their tent, but I did find a trail of damaged leaves that extends well beyond ladder-height. And since I’m not in the mood for tree climbing, the rest will have to wait. Seems like a weekend kind of project, anyway…

I would love to be corrected, because there’s not really room in my weekend for a caterpillar hunt. If these aren’t tent caterpillars, please let me know!

1. selah / Apr 25 2012 4:12 PM

I sure hope you find the source..

• Rae Spencer / Apr 25 2012 4:48 PM

Me, too. I’m very tolerant of uninvited visitors in the yard, but these guys are too hungry. Our yard is too small to carry them through the summer, so it’s best to discourage them now, before the population gets out of hand.

2. Angela / Apr 25 2012 4:51 PM

Isn’t it amazing how such a gorgeous creature can so damage our garden idylls? I have no idea what kind of caterpillar that is, Rae, but can sympathize as we also have some mystery caterpillar which terrorizes our sweet broom every spring and summer. There are too many of them to count and they just desiccate the plant…..and keep coming back. Oh well. I told my son, the broom plant becomes a mini-habitat and he gets to observe the ravages of nature up close and personal. Good luck with those little termites!

• Rae Spencer / Apr 25 2012 8:41 PM

Thank you! I wouldn’t mind them, if they would promise not to eat everything. I do think they’re pretty. Maybe I’ll catch one or two, so I can watch them turn into moths…

3. timelesslady / Apr 25 2012 8:12 PM

They look like tent caterpillars to me. I’m having trouble with critters and pests of all sorts and it’s still early spring…rabbits, aphids, chipmunks, sqirrels. I was out in the yard today chasing them away from the newly planted “smorgasbord” they were dining on with sponge balls. Aye-yi-yi!!! Good Luck!

• Rae Spencer / Apr 25 2012 8:38 PM

We’re having an aphid problem, too. For that matter, bugs in general seem to be thriving this year. I suppose the mild winter is to blame.