September 7, 2012 / Rae Spencer

The Rabbits Leave Their Nest (and Return)

Yesterday morning the rabbits crowded into the opening of their nest, obviously bothered by the heat. After an afternoon thunderstorm blew through, two of the babies couldn’t resist the cool, wet grass. They spent over an hour exploring, which gave me plenty of time to catch a few photos and video clips…

At first, they stayed in the long grass immediately surrounding the nest. After a while, they grew bold enough to cross an expanse of shorter grass and investigate the ginger lilies and fence.

They returned before twilight, but I doubt they’ll spend many more nights in the nest.

1. Angela / Sep 7 2012 10:34 PM

Oh my…..you must just love watching them. Too cute. Thanks for sharing something that will never happen in my own yard. πŸ™‚

• Rae Spencer / Sep 7 2012 10:49 PM

They are definitely more fun than television! (And, just out of curiosity, why can’t you have rabbits in your yard?)

• Angela / Sep 8 2012 2:20 PM

Well, I could have domesticated rabbits as pets…..but I thought yours were wild…..and we don’t have many wild rabbits here in the neighborhood. There are local rural places, however, where they frolic. My mom lives on a mountain and she does have rabbits in her yard. I was recently shocked to see a squirrel in our yard — never seen one before. I have to be content with my bees and butterflies and the occasional lizard. πŸ™‚

• Rae Spencer / Sep 8 2012 4:40 PM

The rabbits in our neighborhood aren’t domesticated, but they aren’t really “wild”. They are city rabbits, so they have lost much of their wildness. They’ll run if you get TOO close, but they don’t run very far or very fast.

2. Angela / Sep 7 2012 10:38 PM

Reblogged this on one tiny violet and commented:
    Rae Spencer has the most interesting yard of anyone I know — and her gifts as a nature photographer enable her to share these wonders with others. Rae’s gorgeous posts remind me to keep my eyes open when I spend time in my own back yard. Too often, perhaps, the beauty right under our noses escapes us because we fail to pay attention. This weekend, try to find something beautiful in your own place. Here’s a recent post from Rae’s menagerie to inspire you! πŸ™‚

• Rae Spencer / Sep 7 2012 10:52 PM

Wow! Thank you for sharing my post, and for giving it such a beautiful introduction.

• Angela / Sep 8 2012 2:20 PM

My pleasure, Rae. πŸ™‚

3. Ruth Nina Welsh / Sep 8 2012 5:09 AM

This is just absolutely lovely Rae! I found it on ‘one tiny violet.’ It reminded my of my wonderful little squirrel that visits – such fascinating and comical creatures. Really enjoyed this post and thanks! All my best Ruth πŸ™‚

• Rae Spencer / Sep 8 2012 1:34 PM

I’m delighted that you found my blog through one tiny violet. Thank you for leaving a comment, because the link led me to your beautiful song “As I Breathe”. I loved it!

4. Sharon Poch / Sep 8 2012 10:58 AM

Rae, I love you rabbit saga. Everytime I see your photos or videos of the bunnies, I want to re-read Watership Down. Thank you for making the ordinary extraordinary.
    Shar

• Rae Spencer / Sep 8 2012 1:35 PM

I’ve been thinking about Watership Down, too. I need to read it again, because it’s been a long time…