Last Thursday afternoon, a rumble of jet noise lured me away from preparations for the opening night of the 2015 Hampton Roads Writers Conference.
When I realized the jets over our yard were Blue Angels, I dropped my pens, notebooks, and folders and ran for my camera.
My fascination with jets, helicopters, and rockets traces back to childhood. My father worked for Sperry Rand, and later for United Space Boosters, Inc., so the space program loomed large in my life. We lived close enough to the U.S. Space and Rocket Center (in Huntsville, Alabama) to make field trips with school and 4-H, and when my father relocated and remarried, his new position took him to Titusville, Florida. There, during a summer visit between 9th and 10th grade, I got tantalizing glimpses of Kennedy Space Center and the Vehicle Assembly Building.
Books, television, and movies fed my aerospace fascination as I finished high school and moved on to college. Somewhere along the way, I discovered the Blue Angels.
Thursday’s flights over our house were practice runs for the Blue Angels’ appearance at the 2015 NAS Oceana Air Show, which overlapped the writing conference on Saturday but not Sunday, so I didn’t have to choose between them.
As usual, I arrived at the conference full of energy, eager to spend a few days in the company of writers. By Saturday afternoon my energy was dwindling toward exhaustion, but it was a happy and inspired kind of exhaustion. Here’s a list of the sessions I attended:
- Mastering Dialogue – Princess Perry
- Friday Keynote Address – Ellen Meister
- Bringing Your Book to Market: Overview of Self-Publishing – Dr. Chris Kennedy
- Copyright and Wrong: The Basics of Intellectual Property – Melissa Edwards
- How to Give a Great Reading – Ellen Meister
- Psychic Distance: How Close Are Your Characters – Ellen Bryson
- Saturday Keynote Address – DeWitt Henry
- Hit the Ground Running: Storytelling through Action, not Exposition – Heather Flaherty
- The Business of Poetry – Renee Olander
- Marketing Your Work – Michelle Garren Flye
- Breaking Down Backstory – Ellen Bryson
- What Is Paranormal Romance and Why Is It Selling So Well? – Vanessa Barger
I can’t pick a favorite from these sessions. They were all brilliant. I came home with ideas for each of my various works-in-progress, and my contest entries were returned with very helpful comments from the judges. (My fiction entry won Honorable Mention!)
I slept late Sunday, of course, but woke to the sound of jet noise as the Air Show moved into its final day. I hurried through feeding the cats, who were outraged that I had slept past their breakfast time, while my husband gathered our gear. Then we were out the door and on our way.
It was a beautiful way to end a perfect weekend.