Jumping Spider (Arachnophobia Alert!)

I found a jumping spider in the irises, and, after taking my usual maximum-distance/maximum-zoom spider photos, I bolted away in an arachnophobia panic gathered my courage for some macro shots.

The spider seemed fascinated by the camera. Maybe it saw a foe in the lens? Maybe it simply wanted to climb? Whatever its motive, I was terrified by impressed by the spider’s jumping ability.

Every time I moved the camera within macro range, the spider darted forward and leapt onto the lens. I got several blurry way-too-close-ups.

I also had a few too many “where did it go?!” moments.

Even so, I’m happy to have these photos for the archive. There’s something appealing, to me, about the spider’s “expression”.

After our photo session, the spider climbed onto the pear tree. Its camouflage was so complete that I soon lost sight of it.

I won’t be adopting a spider as a pet anytime soon, but it’s getting easier to photograph them.

8 thoughts on “Jumping Spider (Arachnophobia Alert!)

1. bardessdmdenton October 25, 2012 / 3:22 PM

Do you think he knew you were preserving him for posterity? Again, wonderful photos and commentary, Rae!

2. Gillian October 17, 2012 / 7:34 PM

I think Jumping Spiders are probably the only spider I would classify as “cute”. Love the blurry photo of the spider after it got too close…somehow I find it very endearing!

3. waggcomedy October 15, 2012 / 5:29 PM

It actually looks kinda cute… 🙂

• Rae Spencer October 15, 2012 / 5:35 PM

I know! Who knew a spider could look cute…

• waggcomedy October 15, 2012 / 5:40 PM

Certainly not me! You might have changed my opinion on them!

4. Vicki October 15, 2012 / 5:22 PM

and I thought the black widow was scary.. if I saw this spider, I would either faint or turn and run away as fast as my aging legs would carry me. 🙂 you are very brave..

• Rae Spencer October 15, 2012 / 5:26 PM

Actually, I felt a little more comfortable with this one than is usual for me. Maybe it was the fur?