Spring Gains Momentum

Flower April 10

The yard overslept this year and still seems a bit sluggish. Even so, every day brings new manifestations of spring.

Bee April 10

Butterfly April 8

Wednesday was so warm that the flowers wilted mid-day. As sunset neared, the irises and roses wanted watering, so I turned on the hose and started working my way through the beds. Before long, I had company.

Duck April 10

I carried the hose to an area of the yard where water ponds easily and made them a nice puddle. They stayed until the water completely dried up, though the female duck enjoyed her visit more than the male.

Duck April 10

He spent most of the time keeping watch, muttering quiet complaints as she explored the puddle.

Duck April 10

Every year I find myself hoping the ducks will nest in one of our iris beds, but they never do. They prefer our neighbor’s azalea bed, and a quick glance at the sky shows why.

Osprey April 10

I doubt the osprey would bother a nesting duck, but I can’t blame the ducks for seeking denser cover. Perhaps I should go azalea shopping, this weekend…

9 thoughts on “Spring Gains Momentum

1. lynnwyvill April 16, 2013 / 8:35 PM

Great photos – you got a good one of the bee! And the ducks made me laugh!

2. bardessdmdenton April 14, 2013 / 8:01 PM

Such another lovely ‘story’ to share, Rae! Hope you are well.

3. Angela April 11, 2013 / 10:35 AM

Rae, these are like a balm for my soul at the moment. Due to all sorts of circumstances, I’ve been prevented from being out of doors as often as usual. These are glorious — and I especially love that bee. 🙂

• Rae Spencer April 11, 2013 / 11:44 AM

Thank you! Hope you are able to spend more time outside soon!

4. jeanryan1 April 11, 2013 / 8:36 AM

Thank you for this lovely spring tour. Nice shot of that busy bee.

5. Jean April 11, 2013 / 5:53 AM

Rae, what a beautiful spring story…AND! You got your osprey photo which is clear as the day was warm!