March 30, 2013 / Rae Spencer

A Slow Start to Spring

Pear Tree March 30

Today was finally warm enough to feel like spring. Add in an entire afternoon of bright sunshine, and it was a beautiful day in the yard.

Iris March 30

Speedwell March 30

Osprey March 30

Robins March 30

Rabbit March 30

As much as I enjoyed my afternoon in the yard, I couldn’t help comparing it to last year’s spring, which was both warmer and earlier than this year’s season. By the end of March last year, the pear tree was fully in bloom and the yard was full of bees. This year, the pear tree is only beginning to bloom and I haven’t seen a single bee.

Pear Tree March 30

Last year, all threats of frost were past. In fact, there were days that felt like summer. The tulips were blooming and spiderlings were hatching. This year I’m afraid to uncover the ginger lilies, because it seems likely we will see more frost, and the tulips are just getting started.

Tulip March 30

I wonder if our delayed spring will spill over into a delayed summer, or if summer will simply storm in right on the heels of winter.

1. Björn Törngren / Mar 31 2013 5:18 AM

Really nice pictures! Love the colors…

2. Jo Ann / Mar 31 2013 10:27 AM

I don’t know where you are blogging from, but it’s the same here. Spring is teasing us. We have bee hives and the bees are flying…eating henbit and sap, I guess because there aren’t many wildflowers out yet.

• Rae Spencer / Mar 31 2013 5:20 PM

We are on the coast of Virginia, so not too far from you!

3. Random Acts of Writing / Apr 1 2013 1:00 PM

Lovely photos! Like you, I’ve been comparing notes from last year to this. It will be interesting to see how the new season takes shape!

4. lynnwyvill / Apr 2 2013 7:51 PM

As always, the photos are beautiful. Love the bunny! Spring just hasn’t sprung yet, and I am so ready for it to get here. Thanks for the like on my blog. Hope all is well, except for the chilly weather.

• Rae Spencer / Apr 2 2013 11:05 PM

All is well! We had a very warm Monday, but it turned cold again today. Not quite as cold as last week, though, so perhaps spring really is on its way.

• lynnwyvill / Apr 4 2013 11:11 AM

Glad to hear all is well. It’s cold here, too, but at least the wind has calmed down. Next week is supposed to be a bit warmer. Can’t wait.

5. bardessdmdenton / Apr 8 2013 6:12 PM

Lovely, lovely photos, Rae! We had a perfect spring day today – warm and cool, if you know what I mean. I hope the really hot weather holds off – just a long long spring, letting the growing season happen slowly and comfortably.