June 18, 2013 / Rae Spencer

A New Nest

Nest Building June 16

We’ve given up on the old nest box, which produced year after year of failure. After removing it, we decided to add a variety of nest boxes to the yard and see what works best for the birds. This little wren is testing one of the new boxes.

Nest Building June 16

I believe this is a house wren. Please comment if you can correct or confirm my identification!

Nest Building June 16

He started the nest Sunday evening, worked through the day on Monday, and has spent most of this morning singing.

Nest Building June 17

The nest looks wonderful, to me, and I hope he finds a mate who agrees.

Nest Building June 17

Video clips from Sunday evening and Monday:

1. Kami Tilby / Jun 18 2013 1:42 PM

What a good idea. Makes sense to give the birds a choice of housing options. I may have to try this myself!!

• Rae Spencer / Jun 18 2013 8:56 PM

We’re trying different kinds of boxes, as well as gourds. So far, this box is the only one with any activity…

2. bardessdmdenton / Jun 18 2013 2:13 PM

Such a nice house for the wren’s nestbuilding. I have one with babies right now – probably hatched at the end of last week. You never know if they are actually going to breed in any they clean out and get ready – last year we had a decoy nest. So it’s nice to hear their twittering and as they get bigger the little house swings and jumps about more and more! I am always amazed how industrious and aggressively protective the wrens are. One year they would constantly dive down on and peck at the squirrels around my feeders. And they are always ‘yelling’ at me when I’m out in the yard. 🙂 XO

• Rae Spencer / Jun 18 2013 4:15 PM

We’ve never had wrens in the yard, so don’t quite know what to expect, but we’re hoping for a successful nest!

3. Gillian / Jun 18 2013 8:42 PM

Yes, that’s a House Wren. It’s one of the plainer ones, very brown with a faint eyebrow, but the song in the second clip confirms it! What an awesome yard bird!

4. Trileigh / Jun 24 2013 10:45 AM

I LOVED this! It’s fascinating watching him figure out how to get those long sticks in there!

• Rae Spencer / Jun 30 2013 1:33 PM

I suspect he is a very young bird, because he seemed to struggle with the nest initially, bringing twigs that were far too big for the box. Over time, he scaled back his twig selection until most of them fit into the nest on first try.